Getting started with online cricket betting
We can provide you with an encyclopedia of cricket information and sports betting tips. However, all this is pointless if you aren’t able to put the knowledge to use. Here are our tips on things to do to ensure you live the dream of placing your first online cricket betting wager.
Use our cricket betting sites reviews
Every punter wants to have a pro-player sportsbook, which caters to most of their needs, especially if they plan on online cricket betting. We’ve done most of the groundwork and have reviewed a host of sportsbooks so that you don’t have to waste time scouring the Internet looking for them. That being said, a good bookmaker should provide high odds across several different matches and game formats. It’s also beneficial to use a bookmaker that adds value through online cricket betting bonuses, promotions, matched betting without free bets, or best odds guarantees.
The number of available markets is also another critical factor, especially for live betting. If you prefer to place your bets on-the-go, you might have to choose a website where you can download a cricket betting app that’s compatible with your mobile device. Live streaming is also another critical consideration that can give you an extra edge when you’re placing live bets. You can refer to our detailed bookmaker reviews for some of the best websites that offer online cricket betting opportunities, paying close attention to the pros and cons which correlate with our suggestions.
Online cricket betting bonuses
As we’ve previously mentioned, selecting an excellent online cricket betting website is vital to achieving long-term wins. While it might seem easier to use the more established website, some upcoming online cricket betting websites also offer great value, especially when it comes to bonuses and promotions. These freebies are a great way to get extra coin, while also giving you a less pressurised online cricket betting experience. A solid cricket betting tip that you should follow in this regard is to always read the terms and conditions before opting-in on a bonus offer. Here are some of the most popular bonus types that you’ll come across.
- Welcome bonus – The welcome bonus is the most popular offer and is awarded to punters that have just signed up to an online cricket betting website. You can use the welcome offer to have a feel of what the bookmaker has to offer and if they resonate with your needs. The minimum initial deposit is usually £10, unless a no deposit offer exists – in which case the deposit is zero. You can also use the welcome bonus to try out new bet types that you would, otherwise, not attempt. Some of the most popular types of welcome offers are percentage bonuses, free bets, refunds on first losses.
- Free bets – Another type of online cricket betting bonus that most bookmakers offer is a free bet. An example is when a bookmaker offers to give you a chance to bet £20 for free on a particular match if you bet £10 on a selected sport. Bettors usually only receive the winnings that they’d have made from free bets, with the stake forfeited. The main advantage of free bets is that they typically don’t come with any wagering requirements. They also allow players to make riskier bets or try out other match formats and bet types.
- Double the odds – The double the odds promotion is one of the most lucrative offers, but it’s one that you’ll only find on a few sportsbooks. With this bonus, when you place a £15 bet with 1.50 bets, and if your selection wins, you’ll receive your payout at odds of 3.00. What the bonus essentially does, therefore, is to multiply your potential returns without increasing the risk.
- Odds Boost – Bookmakers can offer improved odds when players place certain types of bets or bet combinations. For example, an online cricket betting website may offer 15% extra on your payouts for a 3-bet, 20% for a 4-bet, and 25% for a 5-bet Acca bet. Sometimes bookmakers also combine this promotion with an Acca insurance, such that if one leg of your accumulator loses, you still receive a refund on your stake.
Cricket has some of the most numerous game formats, the highest number of factors to consider before placing a bet, as well as several bet types. Online cricket betting newbies can instantly access a virtually unlimited source of information about the game and how best to bet on it – and we make it easier with this guide.
You can bet on ODI, test, or twenty20 cricket tournaments, and place bets like match result, coin toss, highest opening partnership, most wickets, series/tournament results, and more. No matter if you’re new to online cricket betting, or you’re a seasoned punter, with years of experience under your belt, our online cricket betting tips today cater to all.
Cricket tournaments to bet on
Cricket fans know that if a game is being played, then it is often worthy of watching. However, if you are just getting started, we will walk you through some of the noteworthy tournaments you can bet on. There are also different dynamics to online cricket betting on international and domestic cricket matches. There are three recognised formats for international cricket matches that full and associate member International Cricket Council (ICC) nations can play.
Before you start online cricket betting, we think it’s important to know the different game formats a.k.a tournaments and the rules for each will affect your betting decisions.
Test cricket matches are played over five days and are considered to be the ultimate test of talent and endurance for players. The extended length of the game gives punters ample time to craft a solid betting strategy. Although punters have mostly moved to online cricket betting on the shorter formats of the games, there’s still a lot of money to be made on test cricket. Test cricket is only played at international level by ten test-playing nations, including New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies, and Zimbabwe.
You can bet on top run/scorers, series outcomes, as well as a home win, away win, and draw for each innings. Players can also get big wins by betting on the underdog, especially when one side is overly favoured to win. There are also some exciting matches to look out for, especially the Ashes between England and Australia, and the age-old rivalry between Pakistan and India.
One-day international cricket
One-day international matches provide an excellent opportunity for punters to hone their online cricket betting skills. This format of the game has a lot of cricket betting tips and statistical information that you can use to determine both chances of winning. This information includes previous head-to-head match results and how venues are likely to affect gameplay.
Twenty20 is the shortest format of the game, which makes it the ideal format for online cricket betting. Matches typically last for less than three hours, as both teams only play for twenty overs each. There are various exciting live online cricket betting opportunities for this game format. Unlike test cricket, twenty20 is also represented in domestic leagues, such as the IPL, England’s T20 Blast, and Australia’s Big Bash League.
If you’re new to online cricket betting, placing bets on domestic leagues can be a good starting point. Domestic cricket can either be in the ODI or Twenty20 format. The main advantage of online cricket betting on local leagues is that the numbers and dynamics are easier to manage. For example, India’s IPL league only has ten, 16-man teams which play around 14 games each season.
Understanding online cricket betting odds
If you’re new to online cricket betting, you might get confused by what all the numbers mean. For example, you might see that the odds for England winning vs Australia in a particular match that was played were 1.50. What this simply means is that the bookmaker thinks that the chances of an English win are 1/1.5, or 66.7%. If you know how to calculate this percentage from odds, then you’ll be able to identify value bets.
Cricket value bets
So, what is a value bet? It means that the online cricket betting odds reflected by bookmakers is lower than the probable outcome. When it comes to cricket or any sports in general, it’s important to work out a self prediction, before viewing odds on various cricket online betting sites. We have plenty of sportsbooks already reviewed to help in this regard. Now, if there’s a massive discrepancy between your odds and those being offered by the bookies, you should try to figure out the possible reasons. This exercise will help you figure out the most lucrative online cricket betting opportunities, also known as value bets. If you can consistently identify value bets, you’ll find long term success in online cricket betting.
Online Cricket Betting Markets
Once you’ve decided which format of the game you want to bet on and understand its value bets, the next step is to look into the types of available bets. Newbies can try out the simpler cricket betting markets first, and work their way up until they find the right fit for them.
- Match result – You can ease your way into online cricket betting with this simplest of bets. Bettors only have to choose between three different predictions—away win, home win, and draw. Draws are, however, more likely to occur in the shorter formats of the game. Another online cricket betting market is whether the completion of the match will be affected by weather conditions.
- Tournament winner – If you’re betting on a cricket tournament, a bet type that you can place is on the overall winner – which is in effect the tournament winner. Although this can be a difficult result to predict, the odds are usually very lucrative.
- Series winner – To limit the effects of luck, different weather conditions, and other factors, cricket teams often compete in a series of matches. You can, therefore, bet on which one of the teams will win the series. Punters can also bet on the exact series result, for example, a 2-1 home win in a 3-day ODI series.
- Over/under score – Another famous online cricket betting market is the over/under bet. In this bet, the bookmaker will post total runs that they predict a team will reach during the match or series. Players can then wager on whether this team will score more or less runs than the bookie’s prediction.
- Innings runs – Instead of predicting whether a team will score over/ under a certain number of runs, bettors can try to predict the exact number of runs that will be posted on the final scoreboard. This is a more difficult bet, but when it’s available, it usually has extremely high odds.
- Bowler and batsman match bets – An option that requires a simpler online cricket betting strategy is to choose the top bowler or batsman between two players. There are also only two options to choose from, as you’ll be trying to predict which of those two players will score the most runs or take the most wickets in the match, tournament, or series.
- Coin toss – This is one of the simplest and quickest bets that you can make. The bet does not require an online cricket betting strategy, as it’s more or less a 50/50 chance. Its outcome is, however, extremely crucial to determining the result of the game. You can add a bit of challenge and potential returns by betting on which team you think will win the coin toss, as well as whether they’ll elect to bat or bowl first.
- Number of boundaries – One of the most popular bet types on twenty20 matches is the number of boundaries that’ll occur in the game or innings. This could be the total number of fours or sixes, or both scored. For this type of bets, you have to take into consideration the game format, as well as the overall batting styles of both teams. There are also some pitches and weather conditions that favour hitting boundaries more than others.
Betting on bowler, batsman and the man
Experienced bettors usually find lucrative bets in these markets as they often require some game knowledge. However, players of all genres are likely to notice bets they haven’t even considered.
- Top bowler – If you’re better informed on specific player forms and statistics, you might consider a top bowler bet. For this bet, punters need to predict which player they think will take the most wickets in a match, series, or tournament. You can also find markets for a single innings in a test match. As this bet can be a bit tricky to predict, it ranks high on the RTP board.
- Top batsman – Just as bettors can wager on the top bowler, they can also try to predict which player will score the highest number of runs in a match, series, or tournament. This wager is even more challenging to predict, and is, therefore, associated with very high payouts if you’re able to make a correct prediction.
- Man-of-the-match or player-of-the-series – Another one of today’s common bets, is on the player who’ll be capped as the Man of the Match or the Player of a Series. This bet type is typically found in major leagues like the IPL.
- Team of top bowler or batsman – An easier option to the top bowler or batsman bet is to try to pick the side from which these players will come from. Since there are only two options to choose from, this bet is significantly easier to get right.
- Accumulators – Players can combine two or more online cricket betting markets to create accumulators or Acca bets. These are bets where you predict all events on your bet slip to occur. While the chances of making correct predictions in several events are significantly less, the potential payouts are much more significant.
Other ways to go about online cricket betting
Live online cricket betting
Players can also enjoy some run-by-run online cricket betting opportunities. Live cricket provides a lot of exciting permutations. In some matches, bettors can try to predict if the next ball will result in a boundary, wicket, wide, or no run-out. You can also try to predict which player will be ousted next, and whether they will be stumped, bowled, caught, LBW, run out, or dismissed another way. Punters can also bet on whether a player will reach a century, half-century, wicket hat-trick, and more milestones.
Spread online cricket betting
Spread online cricket betting is a very profitable and underutilised approach to placing your wagers. In spread betting, players get varying amounts of returns, depending on how close their prediction was to the outcome of the event. The bookmaker sets a line on a variety of match variables, and punters can bet over or under this variable. For instance, the online cricket betting sportsbook can predict that a specific team will score below 150 runs and over 180 runs. If you bet £3 per run and the final score is 200 runs, then you would win £180. However, if the final score is £120, you would lose the same amount. This type of online cricket betting is full of opportunities. The risks are also significant, as punters can lose more than their initial stake.
Unlike conventional online cricket betting sites that provide odds for punters to bet on, betting exchanges just act as a middleman. Their primary function is to match punters who want to bet on a particular event occurring with those who want to bet against it. An example is when you’re watching a match, and you think Pakistan will win, but your friend thinks otherwise. Your friend agrees to give you £20 if you’re right but also wants £20 if your prediction is wrong. A third friend holds the money but asks for £1 from both of you for their services. The third friend would be the perfect representation of what online cricket betting exchanges do in the real world. One main advantage of online cricket betting exchanges is that you often get odds that are higher than what you would usually find on a conventional betting platform.
How to get more from online cricket betting
Both new and experienced players can find better value from their bets by using a range of online cricket betting strategies. Here we impart online cricket betting tips on how to analyse an upcoming cricket match and develop an excellent betting strategy.
Research the predicted match conditions
Cricket is by far the sport that’s most affected by playing conditions more than all others. The most uncontrollable and, perhaps, the most significant factor is the weather. If you can accurately predict the weather conditions during the duration of a cricket match or tournament, then you can develop a more accurate onlinecricketbetting strategy. For example, if it rains a lot during a test match, the possibility of a draw becomes higher, as there’ll be less match action. In a twenty20 game, each team only needs to be able to bat five overs for the match outcome to be decided using the Duckworth-Lewis method. Also, the ball will move significantly less in warm, sunny weather, which helps batsmen make accurate hits and more runs. A lot of moisture will, however, result in a faster-moving ball that favours the bowling side. When you’re going through online cricket betting tips, it’s, therefore, essential to check the weather forecast.
Know the pitch
After researching the weather conditions, you also need to know what the pitch on which the match will be played on is like. Differences in soil, grass type, altitude, and the topology of the pitch result in no two pitches being the same. Some grounds are extremely slow and make batting easy, while others are extra-hard and make for a steep bounce and fast pace that players can have a hard time against. Knowing the pitch will, therefore, help punters make better online cricket betting predictions.
The toss is king
Closely following on the heels of the weather and pitch is the coin toss. In sports like football or tennis, the coin toss only serves to allocate sides and first ball kick. However, in cricket, the difference between batting and fielding first is tremendous—which, in turn, mostly affects the accuracy of all the other cricket betting tips and predictions. Some pitches offer a significant advantage to the team that bats first, and after deteriorating a bit, then carries over the advantage when that same team starts bowling. Similarly, some pitches offer an advantage to the team that bowls under floodlights, thus, giving an advantage to the first batters. It may, therefore, be wise to wait for the coin toss before you take advantage of a live online cricket betting opportunity on the outright match winner.
Player and team strength
When you’re evaluating these statistics and other cricket betting tips online, it’s vital to do it with individual team and player strengths and weaknesses. This will enable you to determine where one side has an advantage over the other. For example, the top team in test cricket may have a dismal record in shorter formats of the game. Individual players’ current form is also critical, as players who usually play well enough to carry the whole team might be injured or in bad form. Certain players might also shine in particular game formats and pitches.
Online cricket betting money management
Managing your bankroll
If you’re only just starting on your online cricket betting journey, it’s best to take your time and gradually ease yourself into it. If you start with smaller single bets on the most basic bet types, you can make your mistakes and learn with minimum losses. After you gain a bit of confidence and experience, you can then start making bigger bets and more complex accumulators. Even then, how much money you place on a single bet should not be a matter of guesswork.
Excellent money management skills are a central part of achieving success in cricket betting. Other bankroll management tips include betting less than 10% of your total funds on a single event. You can also split your bets between the match outcome and a series of other bets to reduce risk.
Records help you to identify what you’re doing right and where you need to improve. Therefore, it’s easy to surmise that keeping online cricket betting records is crucial to long-term profitability. A spreadsheet is an excellent way to keep records, as you can quickly calculate a variety of statistics. Some records that you can enter include dates, bet amounts, bet types, and the online cricket betting website you placed the bet on. Once the event has been concluded, you can then enter it as a win, loss, or refund, and enter the profit or loss you realised from the bet.
It can also be a good idea to bet on others sports from time to time, as this will help you improve overall. Have you read our free football betting tips? There you can find lots of information on betting on football, the worlds most popular sport, and get some really good info on how to improve your chances of winning.
But that’s not all, we offer guides for most popular UK sports, including Golf. In our Golf section, you’ll find tips for all the major tournaments and tours, including Masters golf betting tips.
Online Cricket Betting FAQ